Friday, April 10, 2020

Lakawon Island


my walking shoes: lakawon island




Because of Covid-19 lock down and since it's a Good Friday, I took time off work. Finally, I have time to go through my photos and update my travel blog. I know this took a year but still, I hope that this post will help you decide to explore this very cute and relaxing island near Bacolod City. It's very low-key, not as crowded as Boracay. According to Wikipedia, this island is about 13 hectares and is a family-run and owned business. Apparently, it derived its name from the Cebuano term "lakaw" which is to walk or wade a long distance to or from the main island of Cadiz on low tide. From my experience, I don't think it's possible to just walk from the ferry terminal to Lakawon Island. 


my walking shoes: lakawon island


This is the last leg of our trip. One of my best friends who's from Bacolod has a car so we did not commute to Cadiz City. The ride was about an hour to Cadiz Viejo and from there, it would be a rough road through a sugarcane plantation. The end is where the ferry terminal to get to the island. The ferry boat ride is about 20 minutes. You will have to pay about 350 pesos which includes a two-way fare for the boat, entrance fee to the island and the terminal fee. If you are planning to commute or use public transport to Lakawon, you can ride a Ceres bus to Cadiz Viejo from Bacolod or there's also a van. As to the details, feel free to check out other blogs.



my walking shoes: lakawon island




my walking shoes: lakawon island



There is a schedule for the boat going to and from the island. We actually left early since we won't be spending overnight in the island. We arrived in the ferry terminal  around 9:00 am and we bought snacks at the sari-sari stores near the ferry terminal. 


my walking shoes: lakawon island



my walking shoes: lakawon island



Once you get to the island, this view will welcome you. A long stretch of white sand. Well, not as long as Boracay, but feel free to think that this is your private island for a day. Feel free to think that you own the island for just one day. And indeed, because of it being less crowded, with very few people, you will truly get into that mindset. 


my walking shoes: lakawon island


There are cottages you can use for free, I think. We didn't pay when were there but feel free to check with the resort. We brought our own snacks of chips, water and soda. They also have a restaurant if you want a full meal. 


my walking shoes: lakawon island



my walking shoes: lakawon island




my walking shoes: lakawon island




my walking shoes: lakawon island



After resting for a bit from the drive, we bathe. The water is cool and very clear. No need to worry about stepping on nasty sea urchins. 


my walking shoes: lakawon island



After swimming for a bit, we took pictures and tried checking the other side of the island. There's nothing much to see there and it's a bit rough on the other side. 




my walking shoes: lakawon island



At around 3:00 or 4:00 pm, we decided to call it a day and changed to go back to the main land. You will have to use the boardwalk to get to the waiting area for the ferry.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to take a lot of pictures because my camera has run out of juice. So, I hope, that you once this Covid-19 crisis is over and since it's summer, if you're looking to go to the beach and don't want a crowded beach, this is where you need to go for a dose of vitamin D and vitamin sea. 

This also concluded our Bacolod trip. It was a fun-filled three-day experience catching up with friends who are like sisters from another mother. I went home to Cebu and my other friend went back to Manila knowing that even though we won't be seeing each other every day like when were all based in Manila, we take comfort in the knowledge that we will be there for each other through the distance. We will take time to visit each other when our schedules permit and catch up. 

my walking shoes: lakawon island
Me, Rhona and Merly 


Special thanks to Rhona (the best friend from Bacolod) and Ron-ron (her brother, who furnished the house) for letting us stay in the "House of Chandeliers." If you are looking for a place to stay in Bacolod City, look for the House of Chandeliers on AirBnB. The place is clean, safe and very quiet. A very good place to relax after a day of sight-seeing around the city. 



No comments:

Post a Comment